Voices of Migration is a podcast series by Mi Casa, a student success program for a cohort of students who plan to transfer to four-year universities. To elevate and share student voices during Hispanic Heritage Month, we have interviewed students who have experienced migration.
This episode features Mike, a student from Jordan. Highlights of this episode include:
- 0:45-1:43: choosing an "American name"
- 1:45-3:02: an immigrant's responsibility to assimilate
- 3:09-4:45: American ignorance of world geography
- 5:10-7:35: moving to the UAE in middle school
- 6:09-9:40: graduating with a chemical engineering degree, only to discover that it was useless
- 9:57-13:32: immigrating to the US meant stability
- 13:32-14:35: America is a land of tolerance and freedom
- 15:15-18:20: Admiration for his parents
- 21:08-22:32: advice to college students--be more social
The music is "Trappin" by Shinrabanshô and is used with permission.